It’s been a horrid season, our worst since the Premier League era began. We all wanted to fall in love with the David Moyes story. Taking the helm from the greatest British manager of all time was never going to be easy but the job was simply too big for him. The results, the performances, the press conferences, the players; it was all wrong.
Now Manchester United head into the summer without a manager; Ryan Giggs is taking charge for now at least. It seems very likely that Van Gaal will be the one to take charge. Whoever is in charge it promises to be a massive summer. We’ve been bombarded with rumours of transfers with Luke Shaw seemingly a done deal. Now everyone is entitled to their opinion and I will be giving my opinion as to what should happen this summer regarding transfers.
We have a lot of players that will be or at least should be leaving this summer. Anderson and Vidic are both already confirmed as leaving with the possibilty of losing Evra and Ferdinand getting more likely each week.
1. Andres Lindegaard: To start I think we should sell Lindegaard. Now don’t get me wrong he’s a good goalkeeper but that’s the problem, he’s too good to be sitting on our bench each week. He could be a #1 and do really well somewhere else, we should promote Amos or Johnstone to be our #2 instead.
2. Patrice Evra: I’ve beyond lost my patience with Evra this year, cost us so many points with his shoddy defending. A perfect example is when he scored a fantastic goal to put us one up against Bayern and then he was arguably at fault for all 3 goals that followed. It’s time for him to go.
3. Ashley Young: Has never been good enough for United, he’s ‘disliked’ by many United fans and well the less said the better.
4. Tom Cleverley: Everyone wants him to be a success, a Manchester boy coming through the ranks into the first team it’s a perfect story. This season’s been by far his worse and in my opinion h’s never going to be good enough.
5. Nani: On his day a fantastic player, off his day one of the worst. Sums up Nani’s United career, so frustrating and consistently inconsistent.
6. Chichairto/Welbeck: I don’t want either of these players to leave, I love them both but both has expressed their frustration at lack of games/being played out of position. United have also been heavily linked with Cavani so it seems one or even both will have to leave this summer.
1. Luke Shaw: A lot of reports have linked United to the youngster and some even reporting the deal is done. The reported £30m price tag seems a lot for a 18 year-old left back but he’ll prove to be a world class player and could be our LB for over a decade to come.
2. Toni Kroos: Again United have been linked with him all year, a deal seems unlikely but not impossible. Exactly the kind of player we need in our midfield. Again would come with a huge price tag and wages but would be worth it.
3. Carvalho or Fabregas: I’m sure there’s plenty of names I could list, we need 2 world class midfielders Kroos being one and possibly Carvalho or Fabregas being the other. Seems unrealistic but if we have £200m to spend why not?
4. A right-back: I stuggled to think of names for this one. Rafael isnt the most reliable RB and he gets injured on what seems like a monthly basis. We need cover or someone to compete for the starting spot. Seeing Valencia, Jones or Smalling at RB is painful at times.
5. Marco Reus/Antoine Griezmann: I am a huge fan of both players and if Nani & Young were to leave as I suggested one of these would be a perfect replacement. Both are fantastic pacey, tricky wingers that would fit perfectly into our squad.
If we sell Welbeck, Van Persie or Chicharito we’ll need another striker. Cavani has been linked and springs to mind. I didn’t add him to the list because unless we sell a striker he’s not needed.
Whoever is the manager for next season and whatever the targets may be, it’s clear that there will be a lot of business to be done.