Manchester United have reportedly had their scouts observing Florentino Luis during Benfica’s 2-0 triumph over Estrela Amadora in the Primeira Liga on Saturday afternoon.
The 23-year-old Portuguese midfielder was introduced after half-time, taking over from Joao Neves. He was on the pitch for both of Benfica’s goals that gained Benfica the victory.
Earlier in the season, on August 14th, Luis had also made an appearance as a substitute. With transfer rumours buzzing around him, it’s said that journalist Pedro Almeida revealed that Manchester United’s interest is quite significant, going as far as to send scouts to closely observe him. The club is seemingly considering making a proposal before the transfer window closes.
Manchester United have targeted Florentino Luís in recent days and had scouts yesterday at Benfica game to see the player. 🔴 #MUFC— Pedro Almeida (@pedrogva6) August 20, 2023
⚠️ It wasn't Man Utd who made a €40m offer to Benfica for the player. https://t.co/jTs1k0qr8Y pic.twitter.com/meSaptVKjA
There are whispers of a €40m (£34.2m) bid for Luis, but Manchester United weren’t the ones to place it. Nottingham Forest have shown recent interest, and other footballing giants like Liverpool, Paris Saint-Germain, and Manchester City are said to have been monitoring him for some time.
Having progressed through Benfica’s youth ranks, Luis boasts 88 first-team appearances, tallying one goal and four assists. He’s had spells with Monaco in the 2020-21 season and later with Getafe in Spain’s La Liga the following season.
Last season, the midfielder, who’s represented Portugal Under-21s 12 times, played in 54 matches for Benfica across all competitions, including ten Champions League fixtures.
As for Manchester United’s transfer activities, they’ve already welcomed Andre Onana, Mason Mount, and Rasmus Hojlund to Old Trafford this summer. However, there’s still talk of them scouting for another midfielder, especially after Fred’s exit.
But, adhering to Financial Fair Play regulations, Manchester United will need to sanction some departures before any new acquisitions. Head coach Erik ten Hag has hinted that Donny van de Beek might be among those heading for an exit.
Scott McTominay is another name being mentioned as a possible departure, especially after not featuring in the recent match against Tottenham Hotspur. Eric Bailly and Anthony Martial are also rumoured to be contemplating their futures at United as the transfer window nears its close.